The campaign of Wisconsin Gov Scott Walker (R) announced Monday — the deadline today to submit challenges against the signatures to recall him — that they will not file any challenge, saying that they did not have enough time to fully review the more than one-million signatures filed against him.
This decision comes a week and a half after Dane County Judge Richard Niess, who had previously granted a 20-day extension to the Walker campaign for the review period, refused their request for another two weeks.
“We faced an impossible timeline,” Walker campaign spokeswoman Ciara Matthews told WisPolitics. She also added: “It obviously takes more time to verify signatures than it does to collect them.”
Matthews has not responded to TPM’s request for comment, to determine whether this move means the campaign is essentially conceding the signature-challenge phase of the recall — and going straight to certification and triggering of the election — or on the other hand, would they file any additional legal challenges or appeals, on the basis that they did not have enough time to review the signatures?
On a conference call with reporters, state Democratic Party chairman Mike Tate fired back at the Walker campaign, saying that today’s move disproves the Republicans’ previous rhetoric alleging fraud in the signatures.
“I think it’s bordering on the absurd,” said Tate. “You know, he has raised what, 9 or 10 million to fund this recall effort; he has gotten three times as much time as is allowed under state law to review these petitions; there were reports of 13,000 people who volunteered to review these petitions. But now he is not only not getting it done, but saying we had a harder time standing in snow getting these petitions, then people sitting in warm desks and looking at paper.”
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment